Help with creating examples

Arie van Wingerden
So far Pike looks very capable and it is a shame it is not more widespread ...

Many users, like me, often learn easier and faster by grokking small examples, than by reading large references.

As I read several times now already in your answers it seems difficult to get to update the documentation soon.

What if I setup a separate website just in order to create that kind of very simple, but to-the-point examples? Something like www.pike-programming-examples.org

To give you an idea, I have created a website for the Red language, which serves a bit different purpose: www.red-by-example

Any votes for this idea.

Of course it would be *very* nice if there were participants to hand me small examples then ...

Best regards,
   Arie

Re: Help with creating examples

Robert J. Budzyński
Once upon a time, a Pike wiki was set up more or less for this purpose: http://wiki.gotpike.org/

However, contributions have been few and far between.

--
RJ Budzyński
Computing Center

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:49 PM Arie van Wingerden <[hidden email]> wrote:
So far Pike looks very capable and it is a shame it is not more widespread ...

Many users, like me, often learn easier and faster by grokking small examples, than by reading large references.

As I read several times now already in your answers it seems difficult to get to update the documentation soon.

What if I setup a separate website just in order to create that kind of very simple, but to-the-point examples? Something like www.pike-programming-examples.org

To give you an idea, I have created a website for the Red language, which serves a bit different purpose: www.red-by-example

Any votes for this idea.

Of course it would be *very* nice if there were participants to hand me small examples then ...

Best regards,
   Arie

Re: Help with creating examples

H. William Welliver III-2
I do try to maintain all of the material on modules.gotpike.org and wiki.gotpike.org however as Robert has pointed out, there isn't a lot of activity. There is much good information to be found there, however, so I would recommend having a look anyway.

Feel free to contribute as well!

Sent from my iPhone

Best regards,
   Arie

Re: Help with creating examples

Arie van Wingerden
OK. I'll look there!
If I'd wish to start contributing, is there a kind of howto for wiki maintenance?
Thx

   Arie

Re: Help with creating examples

H. William Welliver III-2
Also, I think some sort of information for beginners might be quite useful and I would certainly contribute answers... it's been quite a number of years since I started out so I'm probably less helpful on the point of knowing what the questions are. :)

I would say a good starting point would be to start working on such document(s), maybe on the wiki, and then we can maybe decide if a full blown website makes more sense.

Bill

[...]

Best regards,
   Arie

Re: Help with creating examples

Bertrand LUPART - Linkeo.com
Hello Arie,

So far Pike looks very capable and it is a shame it is not more widespread ...

Many users, like me, often learn easier and faster by grokking small examples, than by reading large references.

As I read several times now already in your answers it seems difficult to get to update the documentation soon.

What if I setup a separate website just in order to create that kind of very simple, but to-the-point examples? Something like www.pike-programming-examples.org

To give you an idea, I have created a website for the Red language, which serves a bit different purpose: www.red-by-example

Any votes for this idea.

Of course it would be *very* nice if there were participants to hand me small examples then …

You may find some handful code snippet on PLEAC : http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_pike/index.html

While it need some refresh, the cross-language nature of the website was an interesting feature. If you'd like to start something, maybe think about not being too Pike-centric.

Oh, and didn't anyone mention the book? ;)

Bertrand

Re: Help with creating examples

Arie van Wingerden
Ah yes, the Pleac site has the spirit of what I am searching for!
Would it be allowed to copy those examples to the Wiki, so that they won't get lost some time?

And ... I bought the book immediately ;-)

Hello Arie,

[...]

Pontus Östlund

9 dec. 2016 kl. 14:17 skrev Arie van Wingerden <[hidden email]>:

OK. I'll look there!
If I'd wish to start contributing, is there a kind of howto for wiki maintenance?
Thx

I would vote against that, at least intially. I think we need a more coherent way to solve this.

My suggestion is that this should be held together to some extent by the official Pike site. Not that people can't or shouldn't do what ever they feel like, but this is something that should exist, at least some fundamental stuff, on the official Pike site.

One idea is to have a page at the Pike site where a person could register a Gist for listing on the Pike site. I think it would be wise to encourage people to use Gist (or what ever similar is out there) for snippets and example, and then we can collect those on the Pike site. That's at least one way to do it.

# Pontus

Re: Help with creating examples

Arie van Wingerden
Hi Pontus,

I can see what you mean.
Maybe somebody can enable that kind of contribuution then?
But it would be *very* important to have good titles and tags for the examples to make them searchable ...

# Pontus

Re: Help with creating examples

H. William Welliver III-2
So basically here is the how-to (which I will add to the front page of the wiki):

1. Create an account on modules.gotpike.org
2. Go to wiki.gotpike.org and find a page you want to edit (content, or to add a link for a new page, etc).
3. Click on the “Edit this page” link and you’ll be taken to a page that allows you to make changes. You will find a link explaining the wiki syntax on this page*.

Links within the wiki are absolute, so make care to always reference the full path to a file, otherwise you may find yourself creating pages at the root (not a problem, but if you like your pages to be organized in a hierarchy, this can be confusing.

I created a “Getting started” page, and a “How do I?” page beneath it, where I’ve added one or two of the answers that were offered today. Feel free to take it from there (I’ll dig through some of my notes and add them as well when I get a moment.)

The interface is rudimentary, and I’m working on a more elaborate interface but hopefully this is workable for now.

* The wiki markup engine isn’t perfect, so you I recommend previewing your changes just to make sure it will look the way you expect. Please report any problems directly to me :)

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions or run into any problems.

Bill

On Dec 9, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Arie van Wingerden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I agree with the notion that this is pretty basic stuff that ought to be referenced from the main Pike site, however my sense is that a top down approach to community building doesn’t generally work very well. Even the wiki, which is about as low friction as you can get, hasn’t gotten a lot of traction. Though, after a quick check, it has 560 versions across 100 pages, so perhaps its gotten more traction than I realized.

Nothing would prevent taking content generated in the wiki for use on the official website later, and it’s available for use right now. In my mind it’s better to get going and see if the idea goes anywhere before making it an official effort.

Also, gists might be an interesting way to go about it, but gists aren’t great for generating mixed content with code examples… has anyone written a pike syntax highlighter to html converter in pike?

# Pontus

Re: Help with creating examples

Arie van Wingerden
Clearly Pontus and Bill do not agree on the way to solve this ...

I'll wait a week for concensus about this in the mailing list.

If no concensus then, I'll create a separate website, which will link to the main site whereever appropriate.

That way it is always possible to integrate the content of that site later on in the main site and get rid of my own site ...

/Arie

9 dec. 2016 kl. 19:27 skrev H. William Welliver III <[hidden email]>:

I agree with the notion that this is pretty basic stuff that ought to be referenced from the main Pike site, however my sense is that a top down approach to community building doesn’t generally work very well. Even the wiki, which is about as low friction as you can get, hasn’t gotten a lot of traction. Though, after a quick check, it has 560 versions across 100 pages, so perhaps its gotten more traction than I realized.

Nothing would prevent taking content generated in the wiki for use on the official website later, and it’s available for use right now. In my mind it’s better to get going and see if the idea goes anywhere before making it an official effort.

I totally agree with you!

Also, gists might be an interesting way to go about it, but gists aren’t great for generating mixed content with code examples… has anyone written a pike syntax highlighter to html converter in pike?

pike -x pike_to_html file.pike > file.html

It also has a public method so

string code = "Some pike code...";
string hl = Tools.Standalone.pike_to_hml()->convert(code);

will also do it.

The colors aren't written directly to the output, instead you'd have to add that yourself via CSS classes. The classes used are documented in the refdoc page.

# Pontus