Pike 8.0 packages for macOS, RHEL, Solaris and others

Pike 8.0 packages for macOS, RHEL, Solaris and others

H. William Welliver III-2
Hi all,

A few updates for users of Pike on macOS (and a few other platforms as
well).

* Dependency-free binary installers for macOS.

First, beginning with 8.0.438, I am building dependency-free binary
packages for macOS 10.12 and macOS (is the name change retroactive??)
10.9. They're available from the Pike website[1]. Note that there's a
download for Darwin that can be used on macOS, but it has shared library
dependencies, and thus is harder to get working on most systems.

The 10.9 package works on 10.10 through 10.11 and should work on 10.12
in a pinch if you don't want to juggle 2 different packages. These are
linked against the 10.x SDK and static libraries, and therefore are
dependency free. I've included support for MySQL, PCRE and a few other
common dependencies (there is a .info file that describes the features
enabled). They install just as other Pike binary distributions do:
download and then execute the downloaded file from a command line.

Once caveat: because the build environment configuration is installed
with these packages, you may find it more troublesome to compile add-on
modules later because your system's configuration may be different than
the ones I build on (it doesn't have /usr/local, for example). If you
want or need to compile modules later on, you can either a) update the
configuration manually or b) see my next announcement.

* Pike 8.0 is now in Homebrew

For those using Homebrew[2], I've finally got a working formula for Pike
8.0 added. While 7.8 has been available for some time, there were build
problems that prevented the Homebrew team from accepting an update to
8.0. That's all been fixed and 8.0.438 should be available both as
binary "bottles" and as a locally compiled install. If you've got
homebrew installed, getting pike should be as simple as:

brew update
brew install pike

There's a linux fork of homebrew and I expect that it will include pike
shortly as well. If anyone tries this formula on either platform, please
let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

* Pike on pkgsrc, rpms and macports

I'm working on getting pike set up in pkgsrc[3], a package repository
for NetBSD, Solaris, OSX and others. It's still a work in progress but I
expect to have something submitted in the next week. Joyent builds
binary distributions[4] for OSX and Solaris quarterly, so hopefully by
the end of summer Pike will be available on NetBSD and Solaris without
compiling. If anyone is familiar with pkgsrc or wants to test the
packages, please let me know and I'll keep them in the loop.

I also have RPMs for Pike on RHEL 6/7 if anyone's interested. I've not
really decided whether to go through the trouble of trying to get pike
included or not; if anyone wants to adopt this little project, I can
provide specs, etc that should build working packages as a basis for
making a submission.

Finally, pike 7.6 is included in macports[5] but has no maintainer, and
also may have been an unofficial fink package. My sense is that both
fink and macports are losing market share to homebrew, but I'd be
willing to try to put together a revived packaging effort for either
system if someone thought it would be worthwhile and/or willing to
assist.

It's my sense that now that the kinks are worked out, updates for future
8.0 releases should be simple to prepare, until whatever 8.1 becomes is
released and breaks everything again, so if anyone wants to get involved
with packaging in an easy way, this could be your chance. ;)

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Bill

[1] http://pike.lysator.liu.se/download/pub/pike/latest-stable/, look
for the packages with "MacOS" in the filename.
[2] http://brew.sh
[3] http://pkgsrc.org
[4] http://pkgsrc.joyent.org
[5] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/47918

Re: Pike 8.0 packages for macOS, RHEL, Solaris and others

Peter Bortas-2
Great work Bill!

Stuff inline.

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:29 PM, H William Wellliver III
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few updates for users of Pike on macOS (and a few other platforms as
> well).
>
> * Dependency-free binary installers for macOS.
>
> First, beginning with 8.0.438, I am building dependency-free binary packages
> for macOS 10.12 and macOS (is the name change retroactive??) 10.9. They're
> available from the Pike website[1]. Note that there's a download for Darwin
> that can be used on macOS, but it has shared library dependencies, and thus
> is harder to get working on most systems.
>
> The 10.9 package works on 10.10 through 10.11 and should work on 10.12 in a
> pinch if you don't want to juggle 2 different packages. These are linked
> against the 10.x SDK and static libraries, and therefore are dependency
> free. I've included support for MySQL, PCRE and a few other common
> dependencies (there is a .info file that describes the features enabled).
> They install just as other Pike binary distributions do: download and then
> execute the downloaded file from a command line.
>
> Once caveat: because the build environment configuration is installed with
> these packages, you may find it more troublesome to compile add-on modules
> later because your system's configuration may be different than the ones I
> build on (it doesn't have /usr/local, for example). If you want or need to
> compile modules later on, you can either a) update the configuration
> manually or b) see my next announcement.

We should phase out my macports build ASAP. The first step would be to
just offer the Sierra build by default I think? I don't know if the
browser detection code can be taught to differentiate between 10.12
and older, and it's not something I plan to spend time on.

> I also have RPMs for Pike on RHEL 6/7 if anyone's interested. I've not
> really decided whether to go through the trouble of trying to get pike
> included or not; if anyone wants to adopt this little project, I can provide
> specs, etc that should build working packages as a basis for making a
> submission.

I'd like to begin with at least building RHEL/CentOS rpms as part of
my system, and then push them upstream eventually. So I'll take
anything you have. What do you do for Nettle in your setup? I couldn't
find a working rpm-build for it last I checked.

Peter Bortas