Quitting ...

Arie van Wingerden
Hi,

my interest for Pike was high. However I am a bit dissappointed in the community.

There was literally 1 response on my question how people use Pike.
Thus it seems most Pike people do not have an awful lot of fun with Pike...

Also strange is that the subject of that post was hijacked for all kinds of purposes, which makes it very unclear what is going on on the list.

Also there has not been any clear response on my question how I could help. Only contradictions...

So, I do not volunteer anymore (at least for Pike).

Since I am a language lover there are a few other languages in which I already have invested a lot of my time and energy, most notably the Red language.

Apart from all these rants I wish you Pike people the most of luck and success with this language, which I still think is great ...

Wish you all a healthy and prosperous 2017!

Kind regards,
   Arie

Re: Quitting ...

Stephen R. van den Berg
Arie van Wingerden wrote:
>There was literally 1 response on my question how people use Pike.
>Thus it seems most Pike people do not have an awful lot of fun with Pike...

:-).
Well, I guess a lot of us use Pike in projects for customers which
are a bit hard to talk about in depth.

It might be worth noting that some of us write CMSes and webservers
in Pike (Roxen); others write parts of webbrowsers in Pike (Opera; yes, *the*
Opera).  Personally I use Pike as glue between Javascript applications and
a postgresql database, or to do all kinds of random data(format) parsing
(including website and javascript parsing) and converting.

>Also strange is that the subject of that post was hijacked for all kinds of
>purposes, which makes it very unclear what is going on on the list.

The list has periods of idleness and periods of extreme traffic.
This is best sampled by browsing through the archive of the past two years.

>Also there has not been any clear response on my question how I could help.
>Only contradictions...

That probably is caused by the fact that Pike as such is not run like
a dictatorship, but a sort of dynamic meritocracy.  Most of us have busy
full-time jobs, and even though most use Pike intensively at work, it leaves
little time to actually communicate a lot.  That, in turn, is detrimental
to how fluid the communications on the mailinglist work out.

>So, I do not volunteer anymore (at least for Pike).

Pity.  But we all know too well that time can only be spent once.
--
Stephen.